What is required to stop binge eating that allows you to keep the weight off for life?
As much as possible in the next few weeks and months practice having highly conscious/aware experiences with eating.
This is also called mindful or intuitive eating. This style of eating will allow for healthy weight loss that will stay off for life because.....
Once you have a practice of eating more consciously you won't want to eat without hunger or beyond fullness.
Below are some suggestions to help guide your experience to stop binge eating and practice Conscious Eating .
Do this exercise when you are hungry.
1. Consider the when, where and who you are with as you plan your eating time.
When-where are you on the hunger scale 0-5? Always guard against getting overly hungry, and work on eating when you are hungry within 10-15 minutes of noticing hunger (before getting too hungry).
Getting overly hungry or postponing eating to "save up" for eating later doesn't work for weight loss, it generally makes you overeat when you do eat. This is one of the major behaviors that will keep you from being able to stop being eating.
Where-choose a calm environment where you can focus on the eating experience with a minimum of distractions (avoid radio, TV, conversations or eating on the run).
If you are distracted when eating very often you will not be connected to when you are full and you will eat beyond fullness, preventing weight loss or creating weight gain.
Who you eat with can result in various feelings (Spouse, parents, grandparents, children, boss, friends, enemies?)
Notice if eating with certain people pulls you away from being able to listen to your body’s inner wisdom (hunger & fullness or stimulates Other Hungers).
Are there any people you tend to overeat with? Sometimes other people eat fast and you are afraid if you don't eat fast and grab some food it will all be gone.
Make sure you are setting food aside for you, that doesn't mean you have to eat it all, some can be saved in a container in the refrigerator with your name on it for eating later if you belly gets hungry for it.
2. Whenever possible involve yourself in the process of preparing, serving, unwrapping, or cutting up the food.
Focus on the visual or sensual aspects of the food before you eat it, and while you eat it (visual, smell, feel, texture). This helps you become more conscious when eating which always helps to stop binge eating.
3. Tune into each bite of food while it's in your mouth. Try not to be
focused on the next bite before you have swallowed the food currently in your
mouth. MORE DOESN’T MAKE IT BETTER, stay in the moment. Remind yourself you will get to have this food many times in your life.
4. Keep your thoughts on the food you are eating. Try not to think about distressing situations or other things unrelated to your eating experience at this moment.
You can think on those things after your eating experience is over. Remind yourself there is nothing you can do about “that” right now anyway.
If necessary write down your worries or concerns and put them away, you can pick them up again after you finish eating.
5. Sit down- eating standing up is not a good way to be fully conscious, it is usually about hurrying. Take a deep breath, relax your body, eat slowly (5-15 chews/bite, depending on the type of food and size of the bite), pausing periodically.
Honor the food and your experience with gratitude calming yourself down and enjoying the moment (this is mindful eating).
6. Tune into your body cues (hunger, body cravings, fullness) and listen carefully to your self talk while eating. Change any negative or accusing thoughts to nurturing empowering ones. Make the distinction between mouth/mind hunger and belly hunger and fullness, get clear about this.
7. Are you "sneak eating" in a hurry before someone sees you? Instead eat in the open, in full view of those you tend to hide from. You have the right to eat, regardless of what you eat, or your current body size.
Listen to your self talk and replace negative thoughts with positive self-talk. Sneak eating is usually because the ego is tricking you to eat beyond fullness or without hunger or eat a "forbidden food" and hide it from other people seeing you eat. Remember this is a clear sign the ego is trying to run you like a puppet, snap out of it.
Change your mind!
Note: Conscious eating to stop binge eating and for healthy weight loss can be especially challenging in the beginning with social situations, be sure to be prepared for that ...see below.
Eating mindfully doesn’t mean that we never get to eat something simply because we enjoy it.
Mindful eating or conscious eating simply means being more aware of our thoughts, feelings, and sensations and what is driving them so that we can make more conscious choices and stop binge eating.
For example, if we recognize that our urge to eat is driven more by a desire to enjoy a particular food than by actual hunger, we might decide to go ahead and enjoy that food—but in a more moderate quantity.
Choices for Conscious Eating in a Social Setting
1. You can choose to sit at the table and enjoy the social opportunity with/without food, IF YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT! Just have a nice beverage to enjoy.
2. If you are not hungry, take some food for later, and wait for hunger to eat it consciously, when you are hungry.
3.If someone tries to get you to eat more or eat when you are not hungry, tell them you would feel uncomfortable if you ate the food without hunger. Reassure them that you are sure the food is great, if they prepared the food, ask for the recipe
4. Find out about all the foods that will be offered, decide what you are hungry for (sometimes you can have a taste if you are not sure).
5. Take ample portions of the foods that match your belly hunger.
Surplus = Calming
When you are full remind yourself you do not have to eat it all or clear the plate. Say… Oh darn I got full, I will save it for later or toss it out, I am worth it!
Try the following "self talk" to help you eat food consciously and calm your part down that wants to overeat (see Causes Of Overeating)
This type of positive scripting will be especially helpful with the foods you struggle with the most.
It will help you stay calm and stop binge eating on the food and prevent eating beyond fullness.
You will be able to discontinue eating things you truly aren't hungry for anymore (in the belly).
It's all in the listening to the body/belly signals not the ego deceiver!
Keep reminding yourself by saying to yourself......
I can have this food 100,000 times in my life time.
I will make sure I can get it again or make it, or have someone make it for me,or make a healthier version of it at home that tastes great, no matter the circumstances.
You can get the recipe or a similar recipe and make it or have someone make it for you, or you can order it in the future even if it is from a special restaurant far from home etc.
Also remind yourself that there are no forbidden foods, that all foods are legalized now (see Normalizing Foods).
All you have to do is ask "am I hungry and does my belly want that food" ( versus the mouth/ego which is equivalent to a lie, there is some other belief or feeling orneed coming up)".
Stop, before getting your food, decide where you are on the hunger scale (see below).
1. If you are a -1 or less on the hunger scales (below), go ahead with your plan to eat. PROCEED TO STEP TWO.
2. If you are above a 1+ on the hunger scale (below), re-evaluate your plan to eat. YOU DO NOT NEED TO EAT RIGHT NOW IF YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY!
You can box up some food to
go if it makes you anxious to pass up "special" or free food, unless it will be a trigger for you.
Remember, if you get hungry you can decide to eat at any time.
If you are not hungry here is the plan.
Go to the table, sit down
and enjoy the social opportunity and tell everybody I like to eat when I have hunger and it just isn’t there yet. Have a nice beverage to keep you engaged and feel like yu have something to handle.
Get your food out (or approach the food table) and survey all the food. Decide whether you are hungry for anything you see, touch your belly, close your eyes and imagine the food in your belly to see if it is a perfect match. Remember you can ask to taste things on the buffet before deciding if it's what your belly wants.
1. If you see foods that match your hunger, take ample portions of those foods. (Remember to take plenty so you can feel calm about having enough.) Remind yourself you will be guided by belly fullness and stop with that. Just because there is food you wanted on your plate you don't have to eat it all! PROCEED TO STEP THREE.
2. If you're not sure that the foods available match your hunger, you can wait until later, or eat just a little now to hold you until you can get what you really want.
Do not eat a full meal of foods that you do not want, just because its there!
Go to the table, sit down and enjoy the social opportunity, make plans to get exactly what your belly wants as soon as possible.
Sit down and begin eating consciously. Focus on the sight, smell, feel, and taste of the food on your plate.
1. Take a few bites of the food and decide if it tastes like you want it to. If it doesn't, get something else or season it differently.
2. Eat slowly, pausing every few bites to experience the food and tune in to your belly for sensations of fullness.
3. Keep asking yourself "Am I still Hungry, where am I on the hunger fullness scale?" When the answer is no, see how it feels to stop eating.
4. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT UNTIL EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE IS GONE!
Sometimes it is better the throw the food away especially if it will be a trigger to have the leftovers in your home, your are worth it!
I was overweight and struggled with weight loss myself.. Use the inner wisdom and weight loss tips I learned about and it will be the missing link for success with any diet plans.
Using EFT for weigh loss can interrupt food cravings & the impulse to eat when you are not hungry. It also can help you change your beliefs & change your body energetics (vibration)!
There are many resources for weight loss yet they don't include the most important pieces!